Search This Blog

Mar 9, 2012

Win7 right click on file response slowly


  1.  My computer right click on file or folder, it responses very slow, about 30-40 seconds to get response.  The same phenomenon also found when you copy/paste files. My OS is windows 7.
  2.  Find whether other people met similar issue before, found a lot but none of them can  solve my issue.
  3.  Basically, it is relate with ShellEX in registry.  I downloaded ShellExView v1.68 tool from http://www.nirsoft.net .
  4. With the ShellExView utility, it displays the details of shell extensions installed on your computer.  I found there has WinZip application which location at remote computer. Disable WinZip in the list. 
  5.  Search registry manually, the key point is: in  “Computer\HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extension\Approved”, it shows all applications approved.  in  “Computer\HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extension\Blocked”, it shows all applications blocked. Just add WinZip items here to block it.In my case, I have 7-zip installed in computer so I don’t need WinZip at all. I removed all WinZip items in “Approved” section in registry.  
  6. However, We still need to delete all WINZIP relate item in registry to make sure none of remote computer link will be excuted.Restart computer, right click on file or folder, the response speed very fast!
  7. Conclusion: choose right tool “ShellExView” to find out what is wrong in ShellEx, and then give solution base on the information.

No comments: